Saturday, January 7, 2012

Frenchy sofa worth the drive

It's been a long day for me.  I have been searching on ksl for a French or Victorian sofa, but haven't been able to find one that was just what I wanted, and within the price range that I wanted to pay (I'm kind of a tightwad if you haven't already gathered that).  So, I was ecstatic when I finally found this baby the other night during my evening browse.

Here's the best part.  The owner intended to reupholster it, but decided that she was in over her head and changed her mind.  BUT not before she stripped the whole thing!  YES!  I can't tell you how much I dislike pulling a billion staples out and have yet to do it on a full 7' long sofa, so I was just tickled pink.  The only bad news was that she lived pretty far away from me....like 3 hours away.  Fortunately, her hubbs met me about half way so it was an hour and a half drive for me. 

Here are a few shots of her close up as soon as I got her home.





Little Trav loves it just the way it is!  He was pretty sad when I took it straight downstairs...

Here are a few inspiration pics I have found recently on pinterest that may aid in my final decision for this sofa's upcoming makeover:

Source
I love the cream linen, the nailhead trim, and the two large cushions.

Source
I am absolutely smitten with everything about this one... the creamy frame, the light gray fabric, the plump single cushion... ahhh beauty.

Source

I love the charcoal fabric, single plump cushion and original wood tone on the frame.

I have to be honest, this project isn't going to happen very soon because we're working on our custom built in unit for my living room right now as top priority, but I'm really excited that I finally have the bones to create a piece that we'll love.

Lastly, I want to thank Apartment Therapy for the feature this week on my Easy and Affordable DIY Table Transformation.  I was thrilled with the recognition, but kinda bummed that my shining moment was on a project that I'm not all that proud of.  It was certainly not my finest piece.  Also it's pretty amazing to me how rude some people can be.  Apparently they didn't ever watch Bambi as a child... Thumper wisely taught, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all".  Amen, Thumper.  Amen.

Thank you so much for your support and kind words.  I can't tell you how much they brighten my day.  I appreciate you all dearly.

XO

~Penny Wenny

7 comments:

  1. People can be brutal on Apartment therapy- I don't get it. Don't they know there are REAL people behind these projects! Ugh!
    But congrats on the feature.
    I am planning to reupholster a fab chair I picked up with the same sort of fabrics you've shown as your inspiration. I would LOVE to hear of any good fabric finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already know by looking at your before on this sofa that it will become fantastic. I went over to read the article at Apartment Therapy, isn't it funny how one negative comment had a sort of "jump on the bandwagon" "monkey see, monkey do" effect. The first person's comments were echoed through. I suppose some have no mind of their own. I on the other hand, loved the table, and thought the chairs were fine. The thing about projects like that is, it was the table you highlighted in the first place, it was obvious to me. And the table looks wonderful. The chairs look great too. The idea is, with thrifted finds etc, you make them work. ;) Congrats on the article, it's well deserved, I love your projects and look forward to seeing more, tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, your awesome! Good job! I wouldn't even think to tackle such a big job! I can't wait to see the final product! I know it will be amazing! And your table and chairs that were featured are amazing!! Don't even listen to what some people say! I think everything about it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of your find! I am dying to know what you got it for! And the fact that it is already stripped is amazing! Don't let the readers of AT get to you! You know how talented you are, they are just haters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my heck Jen I sooooo can't wait to see the after bc I'm sure it is going to be A-MAZING!!! I wish I had the patience and skill for furniture redo bc you make everything look fabulous!! Don't worry about those dang comments bc you are awesome!!! (my advice is just don't read them. Want me to read through, find the nice ones and email those to you?)Alisha and I were talking about your awesome-ness over christmas. I gotta say that I'm kind of jealous that you and my sis are BFF bc I think we would make great friends and crafting pals!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ellen

    Ellen, you are so sweet. I like your idea of just sending me the positive comments... brilliant! I just need to learn to tune out the negative people. There's no need for them in my life. :) A sister of my BFF is already a BFF in my book, so crafting pals we are! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited about your sofa (and your new baby on the way...yay!!)! I just picked up a roadside old camel back sofa with queen ann legs, and going to be in up to my elbows soon as well. Mine didn't come with a cushion. I, too, love the idea of one long fluffy cushion. Where/how are you going to get that done? That's the part I can't wrap my brain around. I'm not into spending $300+ on it.

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any detailed questions, please feel free to email me- LittleMissPennyWenny@gmail.com. Thanks!